Tower of the Ice Lord release party with Anne Mok

July 2, 2015

Hello! I’m Anne, posting from Sydney, Australia. My first novella, Tower of the Ice Lord, was released by Dreamspinner on 1 July. Looking forward to chatting with you all today!

Tower of the Ice Lord cover

Tower of the Ice Lord

I’m an avid reader, and some of genres I love are fantasy, science fiction, romance, historical, and mystery. Tower of the Ice Lord is a fantasy romance, and it was exciting to take what I enjoy most about these two genres and blend them together: the sense of wonder of fantasy, and the slow burn fire of romance.

Here’s the blurb:

Don’t you believe someone can love enough to die for another?

Arius the sorcerer has lived in solitude for centuries, watching over his frozen tundra and sending his ice wolves against the kingdom of Evernesse. Only a sacrifice of royal blood can end the war, and it comes when Loren, son of the king of Evernesse, arrives at the Ice Lord’s tower, willing to die to procure peace. Though stunned and mistrustful, Arius agrees. But as the fateful day draws nearer, Arius learns Loren’s bravery and commitment run deeper than he suspected, and Loren begins to see the lonely man beneath the Ice Lord’s mask. Arius’s god demands a sacrifice, Loren might be his people’s only hope, and both men must choose between the conflicting demands of duty and love.

Fantasy is often about saving the world with heroic acts of courage. Romance takes a different kind of courage: the courage to trust, to believe, and to open your heart to someone else.

What are your favourite things about the genres you love? Are there genres you like seeing combined together?

Buy link: Tower of the Ice Lord
My website: annemok.com

12 Responses to “Tower of the Ice Lord release party with Anne Mok”

1. DK says:

Congratulations on the release of your novella! I love the cover. I’m a fan of genre fusion because it brings different perspectives to familiar genres. I think Warm Bodies is a zombie/romance, and Newt’s Emerald is a Regency/fantasy/romance/mystery.

2. annemok says:

Thanks, DK! I feel lucky to have received such a gorgeous cover for my book. I’ve heard good things about Warm Bodies, and Newt’s Emerald is actually on my to-read list! Another genre fusion I’ve liked is Shaun of the Dead – I think the makers called it a ZomRomCom?

3. Congrts on your new book! Sounds like a great story! I will have to check it out. I am a huge romance reader, and I think I love anyway that the subgenres within romance give me more. Like no matter what I am in the mood for, regency, fantasy etc, if it’s got the added mesh of romance, I know I will be guaranteed a HEA :)

4. CC says:

Congratulations on the release of your first novella! I really like romance stories, especially romance stories with tragic elements. One interesting genre mix is romance with sci fi elements, which I find especially intriguing when the science fiction is blended into a more contemporary setting without too much backstory or exposition – it just exists and is a fascinating storytelling device. I’m thinking The Time Traveller’s Wife, Never Let Me Go, and the film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

5. annemok says:

Thanks, Deanna! I hope you enjoy it. I know what you mean about being in the mood for different genres, and it’s pretty cool that romance spans so many of them.

6. annemok says:

Thanks, CC! I love the possibilities science fiction brings too. I think The Time Traveller’s Wife and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ask some really interesting questions about love and time, and love and memory, and how people try to find their way to each other through those obstacles.

7. Antonia says:

Congratulations on your novella! It sounds great and the cover is beautiful. I’m a huge romance reader and I love stories that blend it with other genres. Fantasy romance is a favorite of mine.

8. JJ says:

I really like the title, cover and blurb of your new story. I like all kinds of genres but fantasy, paranormal are favorites, especially because of creative world building.

9. annemok says:

Thanks, Antonia! I always love meeting someone else who’s into fantasy romance.

10. annemok says:

Thanks, JJ! Getting to discover imagined worlds is one of my favourite things about fantasy romance.

Congrats on your debut book! It looks and sounds really good. Best of luck the release!

We have a lot in common. All the genres you named are also my favorites :-)

12. annemok says:

Thanks, H.B.! It’s good to meet a kindred spirit. :)