Astounding Career Changes

June 26, 2015

So… career changes. Have you ever found your job life dead-ended or heading off in an unexpected direction? It can be stressful, but it can also be a chance to start something new and maybe better.

Last year, my husband got laid off from a job he wasn’t all that thrilled with. But then he spent a couple of months being a househusband, which—aside from the lack of paycheck—was wonderful. He taxied the kids everywhere, did the shopping and made dinner, and fixed a bunch of things around the house. We were both pretty happy, apart from the drop in income. And then he eventually found a new job with a fire department (he’s an accountant, not a fireman). But… firemen! I was thrilled. And he loves the new job. So this story had a happy ending.

firemen

No, neither one of them is my husband.

As for me, I’ve kept the day job that I’ve had for the past 22 years. But a few years ago I published my first novel, and now I have a whole other career—my dream career!—as an author. I am… not a kid. I guess you’re never too old to start something new.

In my new novel, Astounding!, Carter Evans is facing the end of his job as editor because his magazine is dying. He’s not handling it well. He sees it as a failure rather than an opportunity, and the booze isn’t helping any. And then he meets John….

What career twists has your life taken? Is there a new job you’d love to try? What do you want to be when you grow up?

9 Responses to “Astounding Career Changes”

1. Andrea M says:

I’m retired and wouldn’t trade it for the world. So much time to read!

2. Kim Fielding says:

I am so, so jealous!

I’m not having an awesome time with employment. I’ve been out of school for a few years now and the place I’m working for right now isn’t at all where I thought I would be.I kind of want to be a jack of all trades.

4. Kim Fielding says:

That’s very frustrating. But being a jack of all trades is awesome.

I’ve worked on Wall Street, been an Air Force officer, also a professor (after feeling like a professional student getting the PhD). Now I edit/review full-time, so I read for a living – perfect job ever for me!

6. JJ says:

I think if I had to do it all over again, that I would try being an Occupational Therapist. I was fascinated how the person helped my Dad when he had a stroke long time ago.

7. Kim Fielding says:

Lucky you, Susan! I hope to write FT when I’m done professing. But you’ve had such a wonderfully interesting career history!

8. Kim Fielding says:

JJ, I bet being an OT is really rewearding.

Oh yeah firefighters, i bet you visit your husband at work all the time now ;)

I use to be a receptionist (don’t know if that’s the right word in English) but my oldest son was born premature and suffert brain damage and is multiple disabled so now i’m a housewife and a caregiver to my son.