Time Waits Blog Party – Post 3

May 15, 2015

So I’m here to wax lyrical to you about Time Waits and answer any questions you might have :)

TimeWaits_postcard_front_DSP

With the time-travel element of Time Waits, I had an awful lot to deal with. Rather than making it a contemporary story, where time travel has existed all along, it made more sense to me to nudge the story into the not-too-distant future. The world would still be familiar, but different enough to be exciting and new.

The only trouble is that when you have a story that is both futuristic and historical, balancing the new and the old is pretty complicated. Add to the mix a character who comes from a third point in time, bringing with him a different set of experiences, and things get interesting. And by interesting, I mean sitting in the corner of my room, eating ice cream and crying into my research.

The main part of the story is set around 30 years into our future, so technology that is being developed now made a good springboard for the changes that might occur: driverless cars, research into teleportation, even more advanced computers. A lot can change in 30 years, but equally, a lot can stay the same. For example, we don’t get have hover boards, despite Back to the Future promising them. I remain disappointed.

Still, in fifteen years, we’ve gone from a computer the size of a table, to a computer/camera/telephone/music player/television you can carry in your pocket. And on a futuristic note, for a chance to win a copy of the eBook to read on your new-fangled pocket-computer, what’s your favourite technical innovation of the last thirty years and why? :)

All things considered, designing a future was easy compared to working with two very specific and very different periods in the past. There are moments in history that are iconic, for good or ill, and the World Wars are two of those incidents. Most people have images they associate with the World Wars, whether from films or books or even family history.

In some ways this made things easier, knowing that most people would be bringing their concept of the conflicts to the book with them, but it also meant being accurate, and above all else, being respectful to the people and the history I was using.

Length: Novel (330 pages)
Release Date: May 15, 2015
Genre: Sci-fi, historical, futuristic

Buy as eBook ($6.99 ISBN: 978-1-63216-853-5) / Buy as Paperback ($17.99 ISBN:    978-1-63216-852-8)

7 Responses to “Time Waits Blog Party – Post 3”

I was wondering since this is your first novel why you wrote this book in m/m fiction rather than m/f?

As for your question i think one of my favorite technical innovation of the last thirty years is the ereader!
    This device made it so easy for me to buy (mostly) m/m books by really great authors. I buy and start reading an ebook in seconds, how awesome is that ;)

2. cblewis says:

To be honest, I went m/m with this because of the way homosexuality was treated in the past. Janos is around in WWII. We all know about the Jewish people being wiped out by the Nazis. What is often glossed over is that gay men were also rounded up, imprisoned, and exterminated. I wanted to look at that angle, especially when Janos is Hungarian, and Hungary was – for a time – allied with Germany.

Plus there are a metric ton of m/f romance/time-travel things out there. I tend to write a lot more queer stuff than heterosexual stuff, simply because we need more of it :)

In your other post you mentioned a sequel? Does this mean that this book is the first one of a serie or are you maybe considering a follow up?

4. cblewis says:

Funny thing about this book is that it’s technically sort of a prequel. Book #1 that I started writing is set maybe 20 years after this one. But I was having trouble making it gel, because I was going in to a world I hadn’t fully developed.

So as a fun little project, I decided to do a short character study of Janos and Dieter, who I wanted in book #1.

One thing led to another, and suddenly, I had a novel about them, which also help me develop their world. And now, because I know all the details of the situation which leads to the events of #1, there is another book before #1.

So now, Time Waits has become the first book of a trilogy, with potentially more beyond it :) I’m currently 90k into the sequel. It’s tricky, because it’s the same world and the same science, but also very different. I’m hoping DSP like it enough to take it on when it’s done :)

That’s indeed funny, This reminds a bit of the Star Wars (movies) the fourth, fifth and sixth films were released before the first, second and third LOL

But at least you will release them in order or won’t you :)

6. cblewis says:

Oh, yes :) Time Waits, then the one I’m currently doing, and then finally back to #1

7. Trix says:

I have to admit, I do enjoy my e-reader, even though I wanted to throw mine across the room for the first month or so. Can’t think otherwise…technology-wise, I guess I’m like Bert in that old Sesame Street skit with Rick Moranis, going “Instant oatmeal?! Wow!”