What’s in a Name?

March 11, 2015

So, in Guarding January, one of my main characters has several different names. He’s Jeff Smart, though at the beginning, nobody calls him Jeff. He’s Lord January, Vampire King, and Lord January is what all his fans and outsiders call him. His immediate circle calls him LJ. So when it came time for the blurb, the big question was, what do I call him? I think I struck a decent balance between having all three monikers mentioned without making it too confusing for someone who hasn’t read the book yet, but you’ll have to read the blurb below and let me know if I succeeded in that or not.

GuardingJanuary_FBprofile_small

Still, it leaves the question — when I’m talking about the characters, to I call them Rye and Jeff or Rye and LJ? I think I wind up using both Jeff and LJ…

Have you got a nickname and what’s the story behind it?

Guarding January blurb:

Lord January is at the top of the charts, only comes out at night, and is usually covered in blood. Say what you will, but the man knows how to put on a great show. But when the Vampire King is let out of rehab, the last thing he expects is someone forcing him to eat real food, hang out in the sun, and generally be a human being.

Rye Sommers, the best bodyguard in the business, has been hired to babysit a rock star whose biggest threat surprisingly isn’t all the hard drugs, desperate groupies, and crazy fans—it’s Lord January himself. But the closer Rye gets, the more LJ turns into sweet, gentle, caring Jeff Smart. He may still be the super-skinny, pierced and inked genius Lord January, but he is slowly shaking his death wish as he sheds the loneliness and exhaustion his stage persona saddled him with.

But as Rye falls in love with the real Jeff, he finds himself in over his head. He knows he can keep Lord January away from the drugs and the groupies, but saving Jeff might force Jeff to choose between his career as Lord January and his very life.

Sean

smut fixes everything

11 Responses to “What’s in a Name?”

I don’t have a problem with the names, i did read the blurb twice but i often do that (i don’t want to miss something), maybe i do this becaue english isn’t my native language.

As for nicknames i don’t have one.

2. SeanMichael says:

I’m always impressed by people who can read books in languages other than their native tongue. I can speak a number of languages, but I don’t think I’d be able to do a good job of reading books in any of them.

I’m from the Netherlands (Europe), i started reading m/m books and i became an addict. But they don’t have a lot of books from foreign writers in the dutch language so i really don’t have a choice. But i learned that i love to read in english.

4. Denise Dechene says:

I understood the blurb without any misunderstanding. I have a few nicknames. Nisee is what my family has called me since i was a child. Some of my colleagues call me DD because of my name. I have a close friend who gave me a name only he calls me, Jene Joey, and to be truthful I don’t know why he came up with it or calls me it (I think he has forgotten as well)

5. SeanMichael says:

Cool on the reading in english, Angela.

And I love that neither of you can remember where the Jene Joey came from, Denise!

6. JenCW says:

When I was little, my uncles and aunts used to call me munchkin and pumpkin. Not really sure where pumpkin came from, but munchkin is pretty self-explanatory.

7. Yvonne says:

I think the two different names work because of the two different personalities.
    When I worked in London I got the nickname Fuzzy because of my curly hair.

8. SeanMichael says:

cool on the names working and I take it the humidity played havoc with your hair?

I don’t usually have an issue with names in books unless the author just uses names through out the name that start with one particular for that whole book and there are a lot of characters. Example I once read a book where five characters had names starting with a “J” and were similar to each other.

10. SeanMichael says:

nods at HB – I try to avoid that and also having two names that are really similar, especially for a hero and a villain!