Come Chat with Alix Bekins

December 13, 2010

Good morning! I’m Alix, and today I’m going to be sharing some bits and pieces here about my new release, Relationships 201. I’ll be posting some excerpts, giving away an e-book, and sharing some behind-the-scenes type stuff about the story – a recipe, music playlist, etc.

Also, the first 20 people who order the paperback of Relationships 201 will receive signed copies – with a mostly legible signature!

I’m so excited I could burst! Ask me anything – I love to talk. :)

-Alix

PS – There will be more contests and tidbits posted at my blog over the next week or so – drop by and say hello!

8 Responses to “Come Chat with Alix Bekins”

1. Nikyta says:

Hi Alix! Looking forward to the excerpts and such. Congrats on the new release!

What inspired you to write Relationships 201? I always find it fascinating how an author comes up with a book. ^_^

2. Dreamspinner Press says:

Thank you so much! :)

Oooh, good question. Actually, I can’t take solo credit for the inspiration – a friend and I were talking on livejournal about how hot college romances were, especially sexy professor/student interactions. I toyed with the idea for a while, and a few random scenes came to me (which is usually how my stories begin – snippets of dialog here and there, and then the rest of the plot builds around them). This story ended up being a lot more complex than I intended at the beginning, but I enjoyed the challenge of creating two relationships that (to me) felt like real ones, and seeing what happened with them.

I hope I didn’t give away too much there!

3. Linda C says:

Which character was easier to create and why?

4. Dreamspinner Press says:

Stephan, absolutely. Telling the story from such a tight point of view and from a present-tense made the writing feel so immediate, like Stephan was living inside my head. Lots of writing sessions it was like I was seeing and experiencing everything through his eyes – even the things were we differ. Stephan and I have a lot in common, but he’s definitely not me – I don’t even like coffee. ;) He’s an amalgam of myself, some of my quirky friends, and of course a little bit of his own person – all rolled into one. When I finished writing the story, I felt like one of my best friends had moved away.

5. Danae says:

I’m so looking forward to this one :)

I wondered if you’re a structured writer or a seat-of-your-pants writer. Whenever I try to write anything, my characters often take over for me, and I’m curious about other people.

6. Lily Sawyer says:

Hey Alix,

congrats on your book. I’d love to chit chat.

7. Dreamspinner Press says:

Thanks! I hope you like it. :)

I… have no idea how to answer that. I am structured in that I like to have an outline and estimate of what’s going on, when, and how many chapters there will be. I am unstructured in that the plan tends to change as I go along. And in the beginning – much like Genesis – all is Chaos, and from the darkness, there come Voices. Voices arguing and teasing and laughing and having fantastic sex. (I hope that didn’t offend anyone.)

The thing is, no matter how much I plan, when I put on the writing hat and start going, anything could happen. I try to keep my intention for the chapter in mind as I write, but sometimes a conversation doesn’t go the way I planned, the characters won’t cooperate with me, and everybody gets in a fight until I call a time out. Walk away, get some exercise, eat something, then come back. IMO, the best stuff happens when the characters take over, and all I have to do is get out of their way. :)

8. Dreamspinner Press says:

Hi Lily! I’ve seen you around the DSP chats. :)

I know you’re a writer – what kinds of stories do you like to read? The same genre you write in or something different?