The Beauty… and Perils… of Writing a Series by Kris T. Bethke

April 23, 2018

The Beauty... and Perils... of Writing a Series

Hey everyone! I’m Kris T. Bethke, and I’m here to talk about series.

I love them. Like a lot. I love to read them, love to watch couples facing new dilemmas and trials while still being together, love to watch new couples find their happily ever after. Reading series is a true joy for me, and I’m more likely to pick up a book if I know there’s going to be more in the world that’s been created.

I love to write series too. It never fails that, when I’m writing, the secondary characters talk to me, wanting their own books. While I have written a bunch of single titles, the truth is, even in most of them, I want to write more with secondary characters.

The Requiem Inc. series gave me that opportunity. From the moment I started penning Ghost of a Chance, I knew Sam and Michael needed a book too. I was so certain of it, in fact, that I wasn’t worried about putting in hints and clues to their feelings for each other in the first book. When I got the go ahead to write Lost Souls Found, I was thrilled.

But just because I have characters talking to me, wanting their own books, doesn’t mean that it’s easy. There are pitfalls I had to work hard to avoid. Because while, yes, it’s a series with a common theme, I had to be careful not to repeat the same story I’ve already told. I wrote that book, readers read it, and we all want something new. In a series like Requiem Inc., I also had to work at including enough information that each book can work on it’s own, while not repeating too much information so that readers who have read them don’t feel like I’m just covering the same territory. It’s a fine line to walk, and not an easy one, but it’s a challenge I enjoyed.

Lost Souls Found is out now, and it’s the second book in the series. But it’s different than the first. Sam and Michael’s relationship is a far cry from Blake and Derek’s. That was the fun in it for me. To jump back into the world of ghostwalkers, anchors, and Guardians, but to tell Sam and Michael’s story. There are new elements explored, and a totally different dynamic.

I love this series—it’s close to my heart for a lot of different reasons—and Lost Souls Found showcases why. Sam and Michael have a lot to work through before they get to their happy. Especially Michael. And Sam needs to learn just how far he’s willing to bend without compromising himself. I adore these guys together, and I’m so exciting they’re out in the world. I think they make a great addition to the series, and set the basis of what’s to come without taking the focus from their relationship.

What do you think? Do you love series as much as I do? What works for you about them? Let me know! I’d love to hear your opinions.

Check out Lost Souls Found today!

perf4.250x7.000.indd

Blurb:

Dying is all in a day’s work. Love is more dangerous.

Ghostwalker Sam Jones has been half in love with Michael King since he started working at Requiem Inc. But Michael is his boss and a Guardian, to boot. Sam thinks they could make it work anyway, but Michael uses his position and his age to keep Sam at arm’s length.

When Sam continues to volunteer for the most dangerous cases, Michael has to intervene. He tells himself he’s just doing his job, but he’s always seen Sam as more than another operative, and he can’t bear the thought of not taking his chance. The connection between them has been strong from the beginning, and Michael’s telepathy adds unexpected depth and an edge to their new romance, but working together while they try to build their relationship might be the hardest part of their job if they don’t make some sacrifices.

Author Bio:

Kris T. Bethke has been a voracious reader for pretty much her entire life and has been writing stories for nearly as long.  An avid and prolific daydreamer, she always has a story in her head.  She spends most of her free time reading, writing, or knitting/crocheting her latest project.  Her biggest desire is to find a way to accomplish all three tasks at one time.  A classic muscle car will always turn her head, and naps on the weekend are one of her greatest guilty pleasures.  She lives in a converted attic with a way too fluffy cat and the voices in her head.  She’ll tell you she thinks that’s a pretty good deal. Kris believes that love is love, no matter the gender of people involved, and that all love deserves to be celebrated.

Find her on her site https://kristbethke.com Facebook https://www.facebook.com/people/Kris-T-Bethke/100014524539852 or on Twitter https://twitter.com/kristbethke

13,284 Responses to “The Beauty… and Perils… of Writing a Series by Kris T. Bethke”

1. satta says:

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article. I like to write a little comment to support you.

2. weaning off plaquenil plaquenil generic brand does plaquenil suppress the immune system who can do plaquenil eye screen

3. گواهینامه رانندگی پایه سوم و دوم همراه باچواب – سوالات رایگان ایین نامه رانندگی همراه با ازمونهای انلاین رانندگی

4. Embaseqxxs says:

best price usa tadalafil buy tadalafil

5. satta says:

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly
    long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways,
    just wanted to say superb blog!

6. satta says:

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell
    and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.”
    She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit
    crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

7. satta says:

It’s truly very complicated in this full of activity life to listen news on Television,
    so I simply use internet for that reason, and obtain the latest
    news.

8. mp3clan says:

It’s awesome in support of me to have a website, which is valuable
    designed for my experience. thanks admin

9. satta says:

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment
    is added I get several emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Thank you!

10. judi qq says:

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!

I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to
    come back down the road. All the best

11. Unblocked says:

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and
    was curious what all is required to get set up?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would
    be greatly appreciated. Cheers

12. satta says:

Hey there are using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and
    set up my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make your
    own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

13. uabkmh says:

online pharmacies pharmacies online over the counter medication

14. 러브젤 says:

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with
    hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to no backup.

Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?

15. That is a great tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
    Short but very precise info… Thanks for sharing this
    one. A must read post!

16. Hi there! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask. Does operating a well-established blog such as yours take a massive amount work? I am brand new to running a blog however I do write in my diary every day. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!|

17. navagc says:

over counter drugs that get you high pharmacy canada best 10 online canadian pharmacies

18. LonVurnelwoz says:

tadalafil generic tadalafil online with out prescription

19. I got this web site from my pal who informed me regarding this site and at the
    moment this time I am browsing this web site
    and reading very informative content at this time.

20. mhk23i says:

discount over the counter medications reputable mexican pharmacies online legitimate online pharmacies india

21. curry shoes says:

My wife and i ended up being quite joyful Raymond could do his basic research using the precious recommendations he had out of your web site. It’s not at all simplistic just to possibly be making a gift of information that other people could have been making money from. And we also realize we now have the website owner to give thanks to because of that. The main illustrations you’ve made, the simple website navigation, the relationships you make it easier to instill – it’s everything superb, and it’s leading our son in addition to us believe that the concept is cool, and that is especially pressing. Many thanks for the whole thing!

22. I have to convey my affection for your kind-heartedness in support of those individuals that really need assistance with this important question. Your real commitment to passing the solution all over appears to be astonishingly interesting and have in most cases enabled employees like me to get to their objectives. Your own helpful publication entails a whole lot to me and a whole lot more to my mates. Warm regards; from each one of us.