There You Are Release Party #2 – Trains!

December 24, 2015

ThereYouAre_headerbanner

Welcome back! Let’s talk about trains because they come into this story quite a bit. Cody has loved trains ever since he was little and his dad used to take him to the train museum. The story begins with him embarking on a cross-country train trip. The train station on the cover is Cody’s final destination – Portland, Oregon’s Union Station, where Cody first meets Phineas.

One strange fact is that all three main train stations of Cody’s trip are named Union Station.

He starts at Union Station in Washington, DC, where his disapproving friend Bette drops him off:

wdc union station

Why is Bette disapproving? Because she adheres to the philosophy embodied in the movie quote: No matter where you go, there you are. She thinks Cody is running away one more time, like all the other times he’s picked up and left. And she doesn’t think Cody will be able to outrun his demons.

Cody doesn’t really listen to Bette because he’s too busy being excited about his trip. He takes the Amtrak to Chicago’s Union Station. This is where he boards the Empire Builder train and also where he meets Sandy Nixon, the young man who is running away to Portland and his uncle, Phineas MacDonald.

chicagounionstation

The Amtrak brochure describes the Empire Builder trip in glowing terms:

Experience the Rugged Splendor of the American West

Traveling daily between Chicago and the Pacific Northwest along major portions of the Lewis and Clark trail, the mighty Empire Builder takes you on an exciting adventure through majestic wilderness, following the footsteps of early pioneers.

Here are some pictures from the Empire Builder Amtrak brochure:

empirebuilderempirebuilderlake

empirebuildertrestle

It looks amazing! I’d love to go on this train trip one day. Cody and Sandy become friends on the trip and when they reach Portland’s Union Station, Phineas and his best friend Blaine are there to meet Sandy.

By a romance-tropic coincidence, Blaine just happens to be the leader of Da Beat, the funk band Cody has come to Portland to join! Of course!

Our two heroes start right off in close contact but each of them brings baggage… and we’ll talk about that in our next post!

There You Are Buy Links:

Dreamspinner   Amazon   All Romance   Barnes&Noble   Apple   Kobo   Google Play

GIVEAWAY: Make sure you comment because three people who comment during the There You Are  Release Party today will win a CJane Elliott ebook of their choice. You can leave a comment any time. I’ll be checking throughout the day!

Question: Have you ever been on a train? If so, what’s the longest trip you’ve taken and if not, what would be a train journey you’d like to take?

15 Responses to “There You Are Release Party #2 – Trains!”

1. A Tomecko says:

I took a train once for pleasure–there’s a tourist one in my state! And I took one to New York. It was…well, I loved it. Not sure about the commuters :)

I’ve been on a subway train but that’s about it. I’ve never been on a train to travel to one city to another. Maybe one day?

3. CJane Elliott says:

Hi there! Yes, I’d much rather take a long trip then be commuting every day on a train. I think the longest I’ve done so far is from Portland to Seattle. Very pretty scenery.

4. Yvonne says:

Wow, I love the pictures from the Amtrak brochure and would love to take that journey or a cross Canada trip. My longest train journey was from Moscow to Beijing, a fantastic experience.

5. CJane Elliott says:

Oh my gosh, Yvonne, Moscow to Beijing? That’s epic!

6. CJane Elliott says:

H.B., I’d highly recommend it some day. Train travel is way more relaxing than airplanes.

7. Kylia says:

I took a train once when I was younger (I don’t remember where to though). I think it might be interesting to take one.

8. Louise Lyons says:

My longest train journey was from Narvik in northern Norway to Stockholm, Sweden, an 18 hour overnight none stop journey. I spent two weeks backpacking around those two countries which was an amazing experience, although that train trip was very tiring :)

9. CJane Elliott says:

Hi Louise! Wow, that trip sounds amazing. Eighteen hours is long to be on a train. The trip for Cody and Sandy is 40+ hours! It’s a good thing they meet and have each other to talk to. Thanks for stopping by!

10. Jerry Sacher says:

My longest train ride was down to Saint Louis to visit a friend, but I would love to travel cross country to San Francisco by train…An author friend of mine who’s afraid to fly does it all the time, and she says the scenery is wonderful

11. CJane Elliott says:

You should totally do it, Jerry! I have friends in Albuquerque who took the train to Portland and I’m dreaming about doing it the other way to visit them in 2016.

When i was younger i used to ride the train when i wanted to go shopping in a “big” city :)

13. CJane Elliott says:

Hey Angela, shopping, “big” cities, and trains are a great combination! :)

14. Deniae Dechene says:

Never been on a train. I live on the east coast but my daughter is stationed in Utah. I would love to take a train to go out and visit her

15. CJane Elliott says:

Hello Deniae! That would be an awesome trip. Check out the Amtrak website and see what they have!