Working the Dream Job with Lex Chase

September 24, 2015

Hello Internet! I’m Lex Chase and welcome to this months edition of being a #dreamer! This month, Dreamspinner is talking about Dream Jobs. Some of us out there have the EDJ, and some of us are livin’ the dream!

….Sort of.

Here’s my dream job of being a writer summed up in one meme.

Yeaaaahhhh…

By the way yes, those are all really me and my trappings of life. Let me tell you a little story. Writing wasn’t always my dream job. I actually never planned it at all. I grew up reading comics, my first being X-Men #11, and the second I held it in my hands looking at Jim Lee’s artwork, I knew that’s what I wanted to do. I was only 12 or so at the time, but I was determined that was my destiny.

I had always created characters, and made up elaborate backstories for them. Sweeping epics, adventures, mortal enemies, tortured pasts, all the trappings of comics at the time. Many of those stories I ended up incorporating into my current books. The world of the aisa from Chasing Sunrise in particular I created when I was 13. Yes, really.

Creating comics and telling stories of the characters that lived in my head was my dream. I even studied Sequential Art at the Savannah College of Art and Design. But I experienced something quite different while at SCAD. My classmates didn’t know how to tell stories. They wanted to draw the characters from other writers. I had never quite gotten over that. I boggled over it. What do you mean you had to rely on others to draw a story? To draw their characters, and not your own? To invest in someone else’s dream?

Nothing wrong with that, absolutely nothing. It just wasn’t for me in the end. And lo. I discovered the one thing that truly made me excited in the end. Telling stories.

I wish I could say telling stories is as easy as daisies popping from the ground. But it’s a lot harder than you think it is. Not only following the ideas to completion, to actually believing in the idea when you think you’re a no talent hack. But then when you look back and have a completed manuscript, you think that’s it.

Hold up. You thought you were done for the day? Nope.

Now there’s paperwork, and editing, and promo to organize. On top of that there’s new projects to line up, word counts to calculate, time frames to set, and if you’re like me a 10k beat-by-beat of the next book to outline. Yes. I really do write 10k outlines. There’s long hours, and there’s not enough time in the day to do it all. There’s times when PB&J is a sensible dinner because you can’t be bothered to cook and there’s work to do.

Yet, at the end of the day, I wouldn’t change it for anything. I love telling stories. I love “making things up and writing them down” as Neil Gaiman says. I love how I have readers that find one small detail in one of my books and makes a thing out of it. Such as Taylor’s honey bun and Corentin’s journal in Americana Fairy Tale. You guys make it all worth it. And I’m grateful for each and every one of you.

And I almost didn’t get here until I dared to take a left turn on my creative path.

So, you guys tell me, what is your dream job? Are you already doing it? If you’re not, tell me what the rewarding parts of your current job is, what makes it all worth it?

Let me know in the comments for your chance to win a $5 USD Dreamspinner Gift Certificate!

Tune in next month for a spooky-ooky Halloween edition as I chat about the next Dreamer theme “Wouldn’t Dream Of It” Mwahahahaaaa~

And if you haven’t yet, Bayou Fairy Tale is up for pre-order! Taylor, Corentin, and Ringo are back and better than ever! What happens when New Orleans gets overrun with nefarious magic? It’s up to our boys to find out! After all…You can’t find Happily Ever After with GPS.

Photo Credit: Lex Chase’s personal Instagram.

10 Responses to “Working the Dream Job with Lex Chase”

I’m not working my dream job and at the moment all I want to do is work somewhere that I don’t have much interaction with people. I’m just not a people person and it’s tiring to have to put on a face and be cheerful all the time.

2. Lex Chase says:

@H.B. Tell me about it! I worked retail for a number of years and it was rough. Of course I as a young kid then and didn’t really know what I was doing dealing with the public. I actually get super anxious when leaving the house, but I chat up random people all the time. Mom laughs that I never meet a stranger. LOL

3. Trix says:

Arts journalism is a dream job when everything goes smoothly, but I hate that there’s so much waiting for other people to respond, and so many to answer to. I always thought being a pastry chef might be fun, but let’s face it…I’m not a morning person, and I’d probably resent baking if it *had* to do it.

4. Anne Barwell says:

Love your post, Lex. My dream job was always working in a library – and writing – so guess I made it. It’s not perfect, and there’s the times you have to work hard on the slog bits that aren’t great, but I think that’s how reality goes. If you find enough hours in the day for yours let me know where so I can get some?

5. Lex Chase says:

@Trix Oh man. I was a cartoonist for my college paper and later the editor. I loved everything about it. When it worked it worked well. When it didn’t. Guh! There was a running joke in the office of me calling up my artists on the midnight deadline asking “Where’s my shit?” We were art students, so we were all awake at the time. LOL

My brother is actually a pastry chef! He loves everything about it. :D Even the not getting home until three in the morning and then going to do it all over again at noon. LOL

6. Lex Chase says:

@Anne Thanks Anne! It’s like living the dream with strings attached you know? You wouldn’t change a thing about it and yet some days it’s so overwhelming. I’m actually having one of those weeks myself right now. LOL

I am time managing the snot out of my life right now. Like. Omg. No room for error omg.

7. waxapplelover says:

I am doing my dream job of helping people. It’s what I’ve always wanted to do and I love it. If I could find a way to do it while traveling (which is my other big love) then I’d do it! :)

8. Lex Chase says:

@waxapplelover Awesome! Helping people takes a special kind of person and a great level of compassion. I applaud you. I’d like to travel too! One of my bucket list things was to one day finally see Europe. I’ve never been!

9. Have you ever thought about creating ann ebook or giest authoring
    on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss
    aand would really like to have you sare some stories/information. I know my audience
    would value your work.If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to
    send me an email.

10. Charlessorge says:

“I haven’t seen you in these parts,” the barkeep said, sidling during to where I sat. “Name’s Bao.” He stated it exuberantly, as if say of his exploits were shared by way of settlers about multifarious a ‚lan in Aeternum.

He waved to a unimpassioned hogshead apart from us, and I returned his gesture with a nod. He filled a field-glasses and slid it to me across the stained red wood of the court prior to continuing.

“As a betting fellow, I’d be assenting to wager a above-board speck of coin you’re in Ebonscale Reach for the purpose more than the carouse and sights,” he said, eyes glancing from the sword sheathed on my hip to the bow slung across my back.