Tigers on the Run: Melbourne with Sean Kennedy

July 13, 2015

Let’s talk about Melbourne.

I often say that Melbourne is a character itself in the Tigers and Devils universe.  It was the city I was born in, the city I returned to live in for a decade, and it is the city of my heart.  You know how you just feel you belong somewhere?  I belong to Melbourne.

So I thought I would talk about some of the things I love so much about the city.  Some of them have already been adopted by Simon as his favourite things.

Here we go:

• the MCG, obviously.  The home of Australian Rules Football.  Richmond train on the grounds in front of it on Punt Road.  It was also the stadium used for the Melbourne Olympics.  Where I lived you could often hear the crowd roaring if the wind blew in the right direction.
  • PICEDITOR-AGE

• Pineapple donuts.  ‘Nuff said.ADP_7c10_detail

• The Cheesestick.  A lairy art installation on one of the major freeways which a lot of people hate but I love.
  • 1412202137087
  • The Antarctic winds blowing straight through you.

• Hanging Rock – a place of legend that most people still believe is real.  MIRAAAAAANDAAAA!
  • picnic-at-hanging-rock
  • Trams.  Trams makes a city magical.
  • Good vegetarian food on every street corner!  Believe me, that’s heaven for a veggo.
  • BOOK STORES.  Perth City justclosed down its last book store.  You now have to travel out to shopping centres in the burb to find a book store.
  • There is just a spirit in Melbourne that is like no other.  It really does feel like a city that accepts you, no matter who you are.  It is the perfect city for Simon and Dec to live the rest of their lives.

Does Melbourne feel like a city you would like to live in?

15 Responses to “Tigers on the Run: Melbourne with Sean Kennedy”

1. kennsea says:

Wow, I so don’t know what happened to that layout. Moving on!

2. Allison says:

I would love to live there for a few years! The company I work for has it’s global headquarters in Melbourne so it is a possibility. We have friends that moved back there last year and we’re planning on visiting. They often said that Chicago and Melbourne were very similar so I think I’d find it pretty easy to live there.

I love that you called it the “city of my heart.” I often refer to Chicago that way. :)

3. kennsea says:

Hey, Allison! It’s funny how they stay with us, huh? I could have quite happily stayed in Melbourne, but sickness decided otherwise. Plus, now, my family is ageing and I just don’t want to leave them. But Melbourne burns in me.

4. Allison says:

Aging family members would limit how long we could be gone especially as far as Melbourne but I still hope it will happen.

I’ll have to ask you for tips when we visit! :D

5. kennsea says:

I know. Especially now that I’ve been back, it’s harder to leave again.

Oh, gods, I think the city has changed a lot since then, as cities do, but there is SO MUCH. Plus the fun of exploring yourself. DISCOVERIES.

6. Allison says:

I’m hoping we can go for at least two weeks. Between the time difference and all the things to do I’m betting we could stay for a month (if only) and still not begin to scratch the surface!

7. Melly R says:

Melbourne will always be close to my heart and I still get sentimental when I think about Melbourne – I don’t know if it’s familiarity, where most of my memories are, where most of my experiences happened or something else – I live in England now and I feel at home here – I still long for Melbourne but it’s things now rather than actually wanting to live there – Like I miss the food – the glorious food, the coffee, the grid system of the city, the easy driving, the air and the attitude – Melbourne is like that dream place – where we have all been and we love to revisit because the memories are always so dear.

8. Gail says:

Melbourne is a nice place to visit, but too cold at the moment, I’ll stay in my more northerly home town.

It looks like Melbourne is a great city, i don’t know if i could live there because i now live in a small village in the Netherands (Europe) so it would be very different LOL.

I do love that you say that Melbourne is a city that
    accepts you, no matter who you are. I feel it is that way (mostly) in the Netherlands too so that would be great. I do love to read books that are set in Australia ;)

10. Denise dechene says:

Sounds great. I have never been to Australia but woul love to go. I live on a small town not far from some Philadelphia and Washington DC. Those pineapple donuts look good

11. kennsea says:

Melly R,

Melbourne IS a dream place. Like coming from Deep River, Ontario to Hollywood but without the creepy cowboys who prophesise your death.

For now we must dream of Melbourne fondly.

12. kennsea says:

Gail,

It was the cold that I loved about it most of all. I came from Perth, which is a town on the edge of the desert ;)

13. kennsea says:

Angela, I’d love to visit the Netherlands one day. I do have a good friend who lives there, so maybe! I also have an unhealthy obsession with Anne Frank so it has always been a top destination.

14. kennsea says:

Denise, the pineapple donuts are the BEST. I still think about them and drool.

Hmm..pineapple donuts?I don’t know about that. Melbourne does look like a good place to visit. I don’t know about living there full time though.