Presents! — (Gerry’s Lion)

April 24, 2015

GerrysLion_headerbanner

This is Ashavan Doyon and I thought I’d spread some good cheer! I mean, giving presents is very much a part of Christmas, and the story does start with a Christmas cruise.

So, I’m giving away two prizes. I mentioned that commenters would be entered to win a giveaway! The first went randomly to a commenter on all the posts for the New Release Party up to this one. Yvonne is the winner - please contact me at ashavandoyon@gmail.com with the email you use at the Dreamspinner store. You’ve won a free copy of anything from my Dreamspinner backlist (that’s any e-book I’ve written for Dreamspinner EXCEPT my new release, Gerry’s Lion).  Pick from The King’s Mate, The Colors of Romance, I Almost Let You, The Byte of Betrayal, or A Wounded Promise.

I’ll also be giving away an e-book copy of Gerry’s Lion a little later tonight, so stay with me!

The start of Gerry’s Lion focuses on Christmas, and I think we see that both Gerry and Leo are very much drawn to their traditions. That was also part of my attraction to doing a story based around holidays, because I think those traditions can be very meaningful. For Gerry, they are so meaningful that he actually packed a small artificial Christmas tree to put up in his cabin on the cruise.

What is your most meaningful holiday (not necessarily Christmas) tradition?

EDIT: because I want to forget about this, but you know I need to remind you! PLEASE BUY THE BOOK:

8 Responses to “Presents! — (Gerry’s Lion)”

1. Denise Dechene says:

Ours is definitely Christmas Eve. My husband, 2 daughters and I eat dinner together. Than my grown daughters go to my parents to hang tinsel on the tree, one strand at a time. They come back to our house where we drink cocoa and watch A Muppet Christmas Carol. We have been doing this for the last 24 years since my kids were small. It doesn’t feel like the holidays unless we watch the Muppets

When I was getting my MBA in NYC, I would spend the Christmas holidays with my Italian relatives. I fell in love with pizzelles and bought a pizzelle maker. I now make them every Christmas and distribute them to family and friends where I now live far from the east coast. I have people ask for them every year, so I’ve spread my tradition far from where it started.

3. ashavandoyon says:

Denise: I remember vividly going to see A Muppet Christmas Carol in the theater. I cried when Kermit sang. There had been a lot of speculation that they’d retire the character because Jim Henson died. And there he was, really perfectly done.

That’s a wonderful tradition.

4. ashavandoyon says:

Susan: that’s a nice one too! College is an interesting time to build traditions in – far away but sometimes close to family that you might not see otherwise.

Chinese New Year is something my family celebrates without fail. It doesn’t matter what’s going on. It’s the only holiday I look forward to celebrating from my childhood.

6. ashavandoyon says:

H.B. – That’s an interesting one. We have a lot of Chinese students at the college where I work, and the cultural orgs always do some sort of celebration for it.

7. Trix says:

A family that we first got to know through my late dad brings us amazing homemade tamales every Christmas Eve, and now I bake chocolate stout cupcakes for them each year. It’s always so good to catch up with them!

8. Yvonne says:

Thanks for the present! I moved far away from my family and I miss getting together with them for holidays. With my children the Easter egg hunt is a favourite, even though they’re teenagers now.