LANDFALL DSP takeover – YOU won a special prize!

April 5, 2015

h
Kate Pavelle with “Landfall” here (http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6215). This last book of the Fall Trilogy revolves around the following premise: Sean won a powerboat in a mail-order sweepstakes, and gave it to Asbjorn. The catch: the boat wasn’t “as advertised.” Those “claim your special prize” offers are still around. You win something, a camera or a free stay in a resort, and you go to claim it, but they sit you down for a time-share vacation resort sales pitch. So, tell me. What was the most interesting or most enticing thing you’ve been offered to lure you out like that? Answer this question, and your name gets entered into a free e-book drawing! (My book of your choice.)

My special wins: pens, watches, “free 4 day vacation” at various resorts, a camera… and yes, my parents once won a motorboat.

Your turn!

9 Responses to “LANDFALL DSP takeover – YOU won a special prize!”

I don’t think i’ve been offered such prizes but i did once go on a day bus trip for little money to Germany and when we arrived at our destiny we had to sit and listen for about three!! hours to a boring sales woman about chairs ! I will never go on those trips again because i think i maybe spend one or two hours at the place i wanted to visit :)

2. Kate Pavelle says:

Yep, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. So you won a trip to Germany. From where?

3. Trix says:

I’ve been tempted a few times (since I desperately need some travel), but I’ve heard enough timeshare-spiel horror stories that I’ve resisted. In college, though, they could entice us to just about anything with an offer of free food from pretty much any off-campus restaurant…

I supposed won a trip to Tokyo from NYC to stay in a new hotel. I did not trust the offer, so I never followed up on it. Besides, I was still a student and did not think I could afford to stay in Tokyo for four days even with a free hotel stay.

5. Kate Pavelle says:

Susan, cost of food is a valid concern. You were wiser than our guys… lol! Trix, these offers were more common in the pre-Internet age. Also, my immigrant family responded to everything, because it was THE WAY THINGS WERE DONE HERE. We learned, but it took some trial and error :-)

I didn’t win the trip to Germany but the bus trip was offerd for very little money.
    I live in the Netherlands near the German border so it was a trip of a couple of hours but i really wanted to spend them at the village in Germany and not with some boring sales person :)

7. Trix says:

There’s a really good scene in (I think) Firoozeh Dumas’ FUNNY IN FARSI about that, where her Iranian immigrant parents go to every timeshare event and somehow emerge unscathed. I forgot their secret…I guess it was just total lack of guile.

8. JJ says:

My sister ended up with two timeshares so I avoided that trap because of her. But I’ve gotten suckered into investments.

9. Rai says:

I talked my grandfather out I one of those time share things. The most I’ve one is a crap ton of Mary Kay products from Bridal Shows I’ve worked. And lots of discounts on photographers and videography.
    So nothing too interesting lol. Certainly not a boat~