Better the Second Time Around by EM Lynley

March 23, 2015

EM Lynley here for a release day party!
SexLies&WeddingBells400x600

Today I’m really excited to celebrate the release of the second edition of Sex, Lies & Wedding Bells. Of all my books, this one is probably the most special for me.  It’s the very first novel of mine to be published, back in 2009. Dreamspinner offered me the opportunity to rewrite the book, make some big changes, and release an improved and expanded second edition.

A lot has changed for me since 2009 when Sex, Lies & Wedding Bells was released.

At the top of the list, I’m now a full-time writer. I’d be lying if I told you that move was planned. It wasn’t. The reality was that just a couple of weeks before SL&WB was to be released, I got laid off along with about a third of my company and half of my department. I worked as a wine buyer for a large retail chain that had been posting terrible sales numbers for months. We got a new department head and he decided that he could only keep half the people. I ended up in the wrong half.

But it meant I had a lot of time to keep writing.

That first month or two after getting laid off was really devastating to me. If it hadn’t been for the wonderful feedback and support from readers and other authors after SL&WB came out, I’m not sure how I would have handled the stress and downright despair I felt a lot of the time. Writing was the only bright light in my life, and the people I met through writing and my online friends made such a big difference in my life. I’ve had the privilege to have met many of you in person over the past six years.

In the years since this book first came out, I’ve grown a lot as a writer. I grew out of a lot of bad new-author habits and made a big effort to work on building great characters (one of my weak spots). Rewriting this book was a chance to clean up all the bad choices I’d made as a newbie. It was quite humbling to go through the book, word by word, and see some pretty awful writing.

Well, that’s probably enough about me for now. I’ll be sharing some excerpts with you and some other tidbits about the story itself.

I’m curious, how many of you have read the original version of this book? Stay tuned for a sneak preview of what’s new in this edition.

Visit my Dreamspinner Author Arcade PageMy Website

15 Responses to “Better the Second Time Around by EM Lynley”

1. Amy Casey says:

i haven’t read it and looking forward to reading it !!!!

2. Denise Dechene says:

I haven’t read the other version. Sorry *hangs head* but look forward to reading this version

3. Clancy Nacht says:

Oooh it sounds really good. I missed this one!

4. Juliana says:

I don’t think I read the first version! I didn’t start reading M/M until 2010 so I may have missed this one!

5. Sadonna says:

I did, I did :) I really enjoyed it. Read it RIGHT after the first GRL where I met you and had a lovely lunch with you and some other readers.

6. EM Lynley says:

Ann, I hope you enjoy this one! Thanks for stopping by.

7. EM Lynley says:

Denise, don’t worry if you missed it. It was “out of print” for a couple of years.

8. EM Lynley says:

Clancy, Thanks! This one’s fun, much lighter than my more recent stuff. Hope you enjoy it.

9. EM Lynley says:

Hi Juliana,
    This was thankfully one of the books it seemed everyone read back then, and it sold well for years (making it tough to get my rights back…). Well, now you have a chance to read it closer to the way it should have been originally.

10. EM Lynley says:

Sadonna,
    I do remember that first GRL in New Orleans, and you telling me how much you liked this later on. *HUGS* to you for being one of my long-time loyal readers. Will you be in San Diego this year?

Congrats on the re-release of Sex lies and wedding bells. I didn’t read the first edition so this book is all new to me. I had my eyes on it for a while now. I did pre-order it so i have it on my ereader :)

12. JenCW says:

Congratulations on the re-release. I hadn’t read this first version, but I will definitely read this one when I get a chance.

Congrats on the re-release! I haven’t read it yet. Glad to hear that writing helped you cope with the job lost and it helped you find your new calling

14. JJ says:

I didn’t start reading m/m genre (other than fan fiction) until 2012, so have not read the original version. With your lay off, one door closed and another door opened for you.

15. Su says:

I missed out on reading it during its first edition, but have been eagerly awaiting its republication. I am kind of glad I did not read it first time round as I know I would want to read the new edition, but would be concerned favourite paragraphs, sentences or characters perhaps would be missing missing (even if extra material was added).