All about covers — (A Wounded Promise)

March 4, 2015

WoundedPromise[A]_headerbanner

And I’m back… sorry about that, travel time between the day job and home got in the way. For those just joining the party (we’re serving mocktails, people, as no one here seems to be the drinking sort!), this is Ashavan Doyon talking about my new release, A Wounded Promise.

I wanted to spend a few minutes talking about the cover. For The King’s Mate, because it’s a novella in an anthology, I didn’t have any say over the cover. It wasn’t quite long enough to get it’s own, so it has the standard anthology cover of a hot shirtless guy at a baseball field with my title and name below it. That was good (there was no need for trying to maintain consistency) and bad (consistency helps hold a series together). So for A Wounded Promise I was entering with a clean slate. It was exciting to finally try to put a little more imagery to the story.

For covers you fill out a cover request with some details… title, author, subtitle. Preferred styles. What covers did you particularly like. That gets you paired with an artist, who is given a brief synopsis, some physical descriptions of the characters. I try to include pictures, if I can, to give an idea of what I’m looking for.

I have to say, cover artists have a hard job. Unless I started with a picture or model in mind, I can spend hours trying to find something remotely close. For Russ I wanted to get the silver/gray. He’s young for that coloring, so the only pics I could find were older. This is the one I finally sent, with a note that Russ, of course, would be in a suit:

russmodel

Justin was easier and harder at the same time. While drunken anger instigates the drama, a lot of the conflict, most of it, really, is Justin. While Russ has angst, and the drinking is an expression of that, he’s had time and experience — and friends — that helped him cope. Justin has kept his angst bottled in, and I hoped that the artist could find a model that conveyed innocence and vulnerability. Of course searching the internet doesn’t find models the artists can actually use, which means trying to convey an idea, and that can be a struggle. Here was my model for Justin:

justinmodel

I think the artist did a great job coming up with images that fit those molds, and I’m especially happy with the model for Russ, because there is an age difference in the characters, and having a younger graying model here is important, because Russ isn’t so much older that the relationship should squick people, but the gray can make it seem so.

What really impressed me though was that the artist really took those vague images and managed to convey the angsty conflict that is in the novella. I’m really happy with it.

This is the last post to comment for a chance at a copy of The King’s Mate, so I hope you’re still up for some discussion! Do cover images influence how you imagine the characters? Do you prefer the sort of faceless bodies on covers, or do you like to see the whole character? Let me know!

And, of course, don’t forget to buy the book! http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6121

13 Responses to “All about covers — (A Wounded Promise)”

I like it when you can see who the author had in mind while writing the story but i must admit my mind has it’s own imagination and i picture the characters, houses they live in and etc. myself. Sometimes they sort of match with the cover and sometimes they don’t.

Overall i like it when the cover shows the whole character but that really depends on the book and story.

I want to thank you for sharing all this info with us. It’s getting late here so i have to say goodbye.
    I will look at the other post tomorrow.

2. ashavandoyon says:

thank you for joining us Angela!

I like to see the whole character, even if it doesn’t perfectly fit my mental image of that character.

4. ashavandoyon says:

Welcome to the party, Susan!

5. JJ says:

I prefer the whole character since I like to get an idea of the characters. The cover artist did a very good job from the photos.

6. ashavandoyon says:

JJ: I thought so too! I’m very happy with cover!

7. danielle says:

I really like that the cover suits the characters :)

8. ashavandoyon says:

thanks dani! I was very happy with it.

Thank you for sharing the making or requesting of the design of cover. Thank you for also providing those images of Russ and Justin that came to your idea of them.

I do love seeing covers with how the author imagined their characters because I like to flip back and look at it (them) when I’m reading. With torsos it’s harder to imagine which character was who unless the author describes them. In most cases the models are so fit and in some ways take away the wanted realism of the characters.

10. ashavandoyon says:

Thanks for sticking in there through the event H.B. — I promised you the description for that fanfic I was talking about:

Warnings alternate universe, graphic sex, arranged marriages, mpreg, some mention of non-consensual sex. This is a Nuke fic set largely in the Harry Potter verse and combined with a Drarry pairing.
    Summary: Luciano Grimaldi was a perfectly happy young wizard. His family carefully neutral during the war, he has found happiness in the years since Voldemort’s fall with herbologist, hero, and friend of the Savior, Neville Longbottom. Only he’s just been informed that in the tradition of ancient pure blood families, he was promised at birth, in an offering to keep his family safe, to the son of infamous American Death Eater Winston Mayer.

Noah Mayer is a very unhappy wizard. In love for years with fellow Death Eater Draco Malfoy, the two young men have secretly found solace and love in each others arms, dreading the day they knew would come. They are promised, in the traditions of the oldest families. Promised to young wizards who didn’t know. Married, for all intents and purposes, almost at birth to strangers who will doubtless hate them. Now they must surrender to duty and obligation. Now they must turn their backs on a love they know and risk everything for what might be. Noah always knew he hated pure blood traditions. This was why.

O.O I’m going to have to google for it later. Thank you for providing the description.

12. ashavandoyon says:

H.B.:

I have a link. It’s very lengthy (205K words). Familiarity with the Nuke and Drarry fandoms is helpful, but you can probably make it through as long as you’re familiar with at least the Harry Potter fandom.

Thank you! ♡