MOVING ALONG – KEN BACHTOLD – ALL BY MYSELF

February 2, 2015

Lordy! I just realized I mispelled the names of BOTH Ariel Tachna and Marie Sexton! I can only blame the heady throws of composing posts to the great people who responded to me. We actually had back and forth conversations! The best. More personal. I’m so grateful to all of you because this is my first blog, although All By Myself XvNkGpic7Skp is my third novel to be published by Dreamspinner! I feel so lucky and without the ongoing help of Hayley Petersen (sainthood is in order) I doubt this blogging would have happened at all! Did anyone else have trouble at first with blogging?

26 Responses to “MOVING ALONG – KEN BACHTOLD – ALL BY MYSELF”

I was wondering if you only write m/m books and are you currently writing another book?

2. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi Angela,
    Thanks for the response! I’m currently in the process (madness, I know) of writing three MM books in various stages of completion. I get an idea and I want to get some of it down before I forget. Actually, my background is in theater, BA & MA from S.F. State. I’ve written four musicals (book, music and lyrics) with some success, never the “big time” although close. And directed countless shows. What happened book-=wise is I had trouble finding MM books that I liked and I got so frustrated that I thought, “Stop moaning and write one yoursef.” And so I did. And that started the whole process. Did you ever find yourself doing something you never thought about before?

Not big things like writing books but some years ago i sang karaoke at a bar and for shy me this is very out of character and something i thought i would never do.

4. Ken Bachtold says:

Wow! I’m impressed. Even though I’ve been in many musicals I would run kicking and screaming from a Karaoke stage!!!! Singing is so tied too one’s ego and folks would rather be hollered at than laughed at! When I was 12 a choir director in front of all my friends told me that I should go home and come back when my voice finished changing! I didn’t sing until college when I wanted badly to try out for West Side Story. I took a bunch of lessons and got the part of Bernanrdo! And so I sing, but with fear in the background. So, now that you’ve broken the ice, do you think you’d sing again? And do you remember the song you sang?

I tried blogging for a while, but prefer the short format of Twitter better. I tweet regularly there, so it’s my 140 character blog.

6. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi Susan!

Very clever of you. I’m new to Twitter and in great respect to anyone who’se conquored it! I can manage the 140 characters, but I get all mixed up on most everything else. Especially the “following” part. The first time I tried it I ended up with (it seemed) about 100 posts. Any advice wold be appreciated.

I remember the song it is a dutch song called Malle Babbe, Malle babbe translation is something like crazy but fun crazy Babbe (Babbe is a name).

I never did it again and i don’t think i will ever do it again either, i must confess i was a bit drunk when i did it Liquid courage they call it LOL

I recommend following other writers. For example, Marie does not tweet often (and it is likely about her football team), but she can be so funny! A good rule of thumb is 80/90% professional, 10/20% personal. I follow writers because I want to hear about their books and writing, not their children’s birthday party, for example.

9. Ken Bachtold says:

Oh the things we do while tippling! How did you happen to know a Dutch song? How was it even on the menu?

10. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi Susan! I agree! It would be pretty boring to read about every cup of coffee a person had in the morning! I appreciate your suggestion of following other writers. That’s such a good idea. I do follow, I thin it’s titled Rainbow Reviews (?) but that’s about it. It seems that you’re a writer youself – is it too forward of me to ask your full name? If you are, and you’re with Dreamspinner, I’ve probably read your books! And, if I haven’t, I will! But if you suspect staulker-time I understand. I appreciate the conversation -at any rate!

Hi Ken,
    I´m from the Netherlands so thats how i know dutch songs and it was at a dutch bar.

But since i´m from the Netherlands and it´s past midnight here and unfortunatly i have to get up early tomorrow to get my kids to school i want to thank you for answering my questions and wish you a goodnight.

I’m flattered you think I’m a writer! I just write professional journal articles for my EDJ (college professor). I read voraciously and review a lot (including on DSP’s website).

13. Ken Bachtold says:

Well, thank you back! You’ve made today most pleasant. I never suspected you were from another country. And the Netherlands is such a forward looking country. I always admire your people! Good night, and thanks again for the lively conversation!

Warm regards
    Ken

14. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi Susan! You just seemed so knowledgeable. But avid readers are also! And any kind of writing is still writing and formadable. And, heaven knows, the world needs competent reviewers, considering some of the ones I’ve seen. I bet the authors love having a person such as youself following them! I’m going to follow your suggestion about the percentages of time re: personal/professional. That sounds like a good idea. I’m just starting to Tweet. I find, like you, that the limit helps. Don’t you think a person has to really distill his/her toughts?

Absolutely! Which is good practice for any type of writing.

16. JJ says:

I don’t blog but follow a number of them. It’s so time consuming just to follow them. I’m just amazed at how efficient some bloggers are with all the posting, reviewing, reading etc that they do.

17. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi JJ:

I know! I just started Twitter and (my Facebook is old and all screwed up) Tumblr (famousbluebirdreview) and it contiues to baffle me. I would like having conversations (like ths one) but it seems impossible. When I noted to follow someone, I got about 100 people along with the one I wanted. I, of course, freeked and deleted them all. Today has been very helpful in that I was able to post and reply. Don’t you sometimes find it difficult to refrain from commenting on someone’s post?

18. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi Susan,
    I’ve learned so much from the editors at Dreamspinner (particularly Jane Canby) and their suggestions have helped make All By Myself a stronger book. I thought I was pretty well versed in punctuation, but found out I really didn’t know all that much. And I learned how to be more succinct! I think Twitter will help with that, don’t you? Do you Tweet a lot or just sporadically?

19. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi JJ! I missed one of your blogs and I hope you find the belated reply. Re snow: I’m originally from San Francisco where we have uniweather and I”ve never gotten used to the Winters in New York. I hate the snow, especially on the second day when it turns all gray and icy! Do you live in a snowy area or are you in a more moderate climate?

Hi Ken,

I tweet almost every day. It is my on-going blog with the world.

21. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi Susan: I understand. The little bit I’ve done is so fascinating that I know when I get better at it, I’ll probably do the same thing. I find it keeps me focused, and I get to vent my political rantings! My Facebook is old and all screwed up, so I don’t use it at present – I’m hoping for a new start) but I have a tumblr called famousbluebirdreview which I post almost every day along with Tweeting. Do you Tweet about causes of some sort or just general observations?

I feel very strongly about marriage equality (big surprise), so I often tweet about that. I mostly tweet about books and authors.

23. Ken Bachtold says:

Yeah, me too! I was recently best man at my best friend Frank’s wedding to his long time partner, Steven after New Jersey finally came around despite the fat guy’s disapproval! Now the Repubs are going to try and de-legalize same sex marrige. I mostly rant about them and all the horror they plan to bring down on us. I do review books on Amazon, but only if I like them a lot. How about you?

I review some on Amazon, and like you, only if I like the book/author a lot. I review the most on Goodreads, as I’ve experienced some trolls on Amazon.

25. Ken Bachtold says:

Hi Susan! Honestly! The “I don’t know, I just didn’t get it.” kind of review? Or they cover a ruthless revenge sort of thing with some kind of literary verbage. I sometimes comment on their comments in hopes of helping the poor author cope! I’ve heard of Goodreads, but I don’t really know much about it. Did you just start reviewing on their site or did you have to complete some sort of test?

26. Ken Bachtold says:

Addendum: I haven’t the heart to trash a book, even if I hate it because I know the author has put his/her everything into it and that deserves respect at least.