Unfortunate Son: Favorite Characters

January 12, 2015

Evan’s love interest in Unfortunate Son, Riley Yeats, is the black sheep of a high-profile, old-money Atlanta family. With his slight form, blond curls, and youthful looks, he’s the epitome of the gay male type known as “twink.” Riley is totally not Evan’s type—he likes Latino men, a trait that came from the inspiration, Travis—but Evan can’t help but be drawn in.

Unlike Evan, Riley isn’t based on anyone in particular. He has some aspects that were drawn from people I’ve met, or characters I’ve read in other books, but he developed mostly on his own as I was writing. In some ways, he ended up reminding me of Cole Fenton from Marie Sexton’s Coda series. As Marie knows from all the times I’ve said so, Cole and Jonathan’s story, Strawberries for Dessert, is one of my all-time favorite books, and Cole one of my favorite characters. So it’s not surprising that a glimmer of him would eventually end up in one of my books.

In fact, let’s talk about that a little. What are some of your favorite characters from gay romance books? Sam, Mitch, and especially Randy from Heidi Cullinan’s Special Delivery come to mind immediately for me (I’ll talk more about them when it’s time for Wayward Son, the second book in the series.) Aaron and Spencer from J.P. Barnaby’s Survivors series hold a special place in a lot of hearts. Who are tops on your list?

9 Responses to “Unfortunate Son: Favorite Characters”

Oh, I’d agree with Cole in all his appearances in the Coda books!

2. Missy1980 says:

I adore Jax&Liam from Same Page series by Lily Velden BUT Webber from Frog by Mary Calmes is my fave one ever

3. Brady from After the End by Alex Kidwell. He’s sort of larger than life and I like that. It made a lot of sense given the main character’s loss that Brady would be the one to draw him out.

4. BabyBarlow says:

Do I have to choose just one? I can’t!! Let’s see: Jesse from Moonlight Becomes You by P. Vaughn and O’shea; Michael from The Mating of Michael

5. K13 says:

Monty from Marshall’s Park by Lisa Warrell is sweet and very strong at the same time.

6. Shae Connor says:

These are some excellent choices! And no, Baby, no reason to limit yourself to just one. :D

A few of my favorite couples and characters are:
    Charlie and Travis (Red dirt Heart by NR Walker)
    Riley and Jack (Texas serie by RJ Scott)
    Hank (the Shearing gun by Renae kaye)
    Webber (Frog by Mary Calmes)

8. Debra E says:

I have lots of favorites of different types it’s hard to choose. Two of the characters that went through the most to be together though for me would be Dan and Vadim from Special Forces by Aleksander Voinov and Marquesate.

Law from Force of Law by Jez Morrow
    Stephan from Timing by Mary Calmes
    Ty and Zane from Cut &Run by Abigail Roux (and Madeleine Urban)
    Sam and Jory from A Matter of Time by Mary Calmes