Ordinary People: Let’s play a game.

May 17, 2014

OrdinaryPeople

Let’s play a game. It’s a game I often play when I finish reading a book. It’s called What Happens Next?

Here’s a phone conversation Vinnie has AFTER the book finishes. What should James’s reply be?

Vinnie snatched the phone up on the first ring. “What happened?” He glanced at the clock. The sentencing should be over by now—unless there was a hitch.

“Were you sitting on the phone?” The amused warmth in James’s voice made Vinnie want to be somewhere other than where he was, which was too far away from James. “Tell me about your appointment.”

“James,” Vinnie warned, trying to keep his voice firm as he squirmed to release the sudden pressure in his groin. “That wasn’t the deal.”

“You could give in and do what I want.”

Vinnie scoffed. “If I didn’t give into a bunch of murdering pyromaniacs, what makes you think I’ll give in to you?”

www.eemontgomery.com

7 Responses to “Ordinary People: Let’s play a game.”

1. Deborah H says:

Haven’t read any of your books yet but I’ll try and guess.

“Because I’m sexy & you want me to do that special thing to you….”

Oh, this sounds like a fun game that I’m pretty sure I’m going to suck at :)

I want to say he going to go with some innuendo like “Well I have some ways of making you sing.” or something along those lines (I know a little cliche isn’t it?)…lol

3. eemontgomery says:

Oh yes. Payment in kind. I like that.

4. eemontgomery says:

Sometimes cliches fit too, H.B. The singing part could be interesting.

5. eemontgomery says:

I played this game for the first time years ago when I read Caroline Macdonald’s Lake at the End of the World. I ended up writing two more chapters on what might have happened after the end of the book. Now, any book that grabs me gets that treatment. I usually only write a few paragraphs now, though.

I think James would say: I know where the bodies are buried.

7. eemontgomery says:

:) Being a policeman, Susan, he probably does.